Sunday, August 9, 2009

Science major or humanities major?

I have been asked this question by many high school and college students. My reply has always been to follow your true interests and thirst for knowledge. I do not believe that you should cut your education short during college just to play it safe to get into medical school. In other words, there are many students who would much rather study English literature or a Romance language than to be a biochemistry major. On the other hand, there are many students who truly enjoy biochemistry, and therefore should follow their hearts. So the direct answer to this question is “either or both.”

Acceptance into medical school is not an easy process. There are multiple parameters that are measured during the application process. The GPA and standardized exam scores, such as the MCAT, are a given into what category of school will view your application. Basic, prerequisite requirements need to be completed--such as biology, biochemistry, physics, etc. These prequisite requirements are usually enough to obtain a biology minor. My advice is to study subjects you will unlikely have another chance to study again in a college setting.

I studied philosophy as my major to answer the age old question of “what is the meaning of life?” I can't say that I found the answer, but the process and the opportunity to do so has served me well. To this day, I look back upon the outstanding professors, books, and ideas that challenged me to think about the world in a different light. This is in contrast to the many basic science courses that I took that are mainly irrelevant to me now. Four years of college go by very quickly…. There are many subjects from college which will be repeated in the first year of medical school. The second-year will be quite new, learning pathophysiology-- everything that can go wrong in the human body. Needless to say, the first year of medical school can be quite easy for some and more difficult for others. A big advantage of being a science major during college is a much easier first year of medical school. But this is not the main reason to do so, because by the second and third year, things will have equalized.

Being unique sets you apart from the crowd. You should strive not only for excellence, but also to be different. Plastic surgery is a unique specialty in that there is no single way to accomplish a task. It is a specialty that allows you to have your own signature, creativity, and inspiration. I encourage you to study life with passion and it will serve you well in your career toward plastic surgery.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the information. I think I'm looking for plastic surgeons in Gastonia NC rather than becoming one.

Unknown said...

Dr Schulman plastic surgery New York City Cosmetic Surgery procedures take place typically in today's society.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the information. You have explained in detail about how to become a best plastic surgeon and sure it would be helpful for all those who are passionate about plastic surgery.

Unknown said...

I really would love to be a cosmetic surgeon to reconstruct peoples looks nf bodies i would love to do that but im too old im 40 by the time i finished i will be too old dont u think?

Unknown said...

I graduated from college with a Business management degree but never did anything i like with it. Im trying to go back to school for something i would love to do nd lately my passion is all cosmetic surgeries it would make me feel so good to reconstruct someones body. I live in Arizona nd i need to know where do i start?? What schools here in Arizona provide the classes i need to take??

Unknown said...

Does anyone know how much schooling is required to find a job in cosmetics? A friend of mine would love to become a plastic surgeon. I will show her this post because it will probably be helpful.
Jayden Eden | http://www.otosurgical.com/facial_plastic_surgery.html

Unknown said...

Wow so nice all post.........
Pittsburgh PA

Anonymous said...

congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! Nu You Plastic Surgery

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about getting plastic surgery. I guess I should find a surgeon to talk me through the surgery risks. I have a few ideas and questions with my plastic surgery. It would be helpful to hear how the procedure is done from a doctor.
http://www.plasticsurgeryinnovations.com/procedure-information/sculpt-my-dream/

Unknown said...

You've got finished a stunning job with you website. The Med Care Group

Anonymous said...

Nice information and very nice post. This is useful to us. Thanks for sharing. http://www.faceforwardla.org/

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!! This is actually interesting post, from every point of view it is really outstanding. Emotional support dog

Unknown said...

After reading up this blog i have shown some great interests in these type of blogs and would say that it needs to be bookmarked now. Hospitals in Dombivli || Physiotherapy in Dombivli || Hospital in Dombivli

Paulie said...


This is really interesting take on the subject. In my opinion, plastic surgeons not only are needed in beauty spas, but also for real after-surgery.

Cosmetic Surgery Philippines

Unknown said...

Thank you so much guys for giving such kind of information. This will assist me a lot. writing a paper

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

There is noticeably much to know on the subject of this. I think you created some excellent points in Features also. When an essay is an issue - get our benefit!

Unknown said...

You have shared such impressive blog. This is in fact helpful for all common people as well and will really help me in future too! laser hair removal westlake village

Unknown said...

I love your post because I like the way you collaborate and share your opinions, great blog, carry on. smile-matters.com