Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Angelina Jolie, Mastectomy, and her Breast Cancer Treatment

I applaud Angelina Jolie's candid approach to her recent treatment for breast cancer.  Because of her “star” status, she is able to put a significant spotlight upon current issues in breast cancer treatment today.  This includes the BRCA gene, which places her at high risk for breast cancer, that many people may not know much about.   It also highlights her approach to this situation with her getting prophylactic bilateral mastectomies and immediate breast reconstruction with tissue expander implants.

Many people may wonder why someone would want to undergo bilateral mastectomies at this stage of her life while not actually having breast cancer but having a high risk gene.   She explains it quite well:  she wants to decrease her chances as best as possible, even at the cost of losing her breasts.   The complete removal of the breast tissue (mastectomy) early on decreases the chances for breast cancer significantly in the future.   In the meantime, she can undergo breast reconstruction which will still allow her to have excellent breast aesthetics.   By undergoing prophylactic mastectomy with nipple preservation, she will also avoid any radiation treatment which can severely deform the breasts--radiation has its own set of problems including wound issues, implant infections, contracture, radiation changes to the heart and lung.

The other option that she may have considered is autologous breast reconstruction using her own tissues without an implant. This includes the DIEP breast flaps from her abdomen transplanted to her chest via microsurgical technique which would preserve her “super six pack.”   This would allow her to have breast reconstruction at the same time with her own tissues and would get a potential tummy tuck as well.    My guess is that Angelina Jolie did not have enough abdominal tissue to undergo bilateral breast reconstruction and that is why she chose tissue expander and implants.   She will need to undergo several expander injections and another operation for a final silicone implant.

One of the great joys of my practice is in caring for women who have beaten breast cancer.  They are courageous and very knowledgeable about their options in breast reconstruction after mastectomy.   It is very common now for me to see patients who seek to undergo prophylactic mastectomies and immediate breast reconstruction just like Angelina.   She is definitely not alone in the fight against breast cancer and seeking the best medical options and care.

I thank and applaud Angelina Jolie’s courage in sharing this deep and personal part of her life to help others.   She is a super star in my book.

30 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Blogging Awesome tips about Aesthetic Surgery………This article giving great value for patients who needs Plastic Surgery or cosmetic surgery……. Thanks for sharing your great experience through Article…………. Contact Dr GvG for Plastic Surgery Bangalore.

Unknown said...

I have read a few just right stuff here.

plastic surgeons in hartford ct
plastic surgeons hartford ct

Robert Brewer said...

I got shocked when I first heard the news. She was one of my favorite stars and I was so sad to hear this. But now I understand that it is not a thing to be sad of. It has been common among women. And nowadays, even the reconstruction of breasts are possible with plastic surgery. I was shocked hearing the number of women who have gone for breast implants Toronto. No doubt plastic surgery has become a style quotient!

Ooze said...

great blog about plastic surgery. Thanks for sharing. http://www.asiaclinic-thailand.com/

Unknown said...

Hi, very useful information on plastic surgery. I am searching for more information since I am myself interesting in this. For everyone else you can also have a look at Plastic Surgery.

Unknown said...

I am considering going to school to become a surgeon. I would like to do plastic surgery in particular. What qualifications are needed for most jobs? I would appreciate any information.
Jayden Eden | http://www.cosmetiqueplasticsurgery.com/

Unknown said...

My wife is totally loving the Angelina Jolie Mastectomy story. She thinks Angelina is such an inspiring person to go through plastic surgery for the betterment of her health. I have come to appreciate and respect her story as well. Good for her.

bryanflake1984| http://www.drbarton.com

Unknown said...

Breast cancer treatment in different ways and depend on breast cancer can be divided into groups and how they can work can be used.

Unknown said...

very helpful information on
plastic surgery. I am searching for more information since I am myself interesting in this. For everyone else you can also have a look at Plastic Surgery.

Anonymous said...

more hereIt’s really very informative that I wanted ever, thanks for this.

Unknown said...

I have wondered what it is like for a plastic surgeon to have to go in and change the appearance of someone, or to be able to change a feature. I would like to keep investigating and to find out more from other plastic surgeons.

Unknown said...

Thank you for keeping this blog its really insightful and helpful.

Nose job bangalore

Youtube

David Alessi said...

thanks for your such kind of information and experience of Angelina Jolie.

Unknown said...

I've been considering lot of different careers in the medical field lately. It's so helpful to have a step-by-step first person guide like this! I'd never really considered being a plastic surgeon until I saw how much good it did for my mom's self esteem.

Aimee Hart | http://www.fallekplasticsurgery.com

Unknown said...

Before you undergo plastic surgery, it is important to research your desired procedure to determine if it is the right choice for you. Your doctor helps you with this by examining your medical history to make sure you do not suffer from a pre-existing health condition that contraindicates plastic surgery. Surgery results cannot be guaranteed, so you must proceed with realistic expectations.

Unknown said...

These were phenomenal ideas for plastic surgery! I've been looking into cosmetic surgery. I need to make sure that I find a surgeon that specializes in the procedure I want done.
http://www.apcsurgery.com.au

Anonymous said...

congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! Alexander Cosmetic Surgery

Anonymous said...

Fascinating information I haven’t been experienced such information in quite a long time. Dr. Aaron Kosins Newport Beach Plastic and Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Unknown said...

Yes before going with plastic surgery make sure with your own ideas to explain,suggestions,and discussion with different doctors around there..Some of the surgeries performed by a Female surgeon Dubai are cholecystectomy, gallbladder removal, liver transplantation and various gastrointestinal procedures.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating information I haven’t been experienced such information in quite a long time. Nu You Plastic Surgery Jacksonville

Anonymous said...

The blog is unique that’s providing the nice material. Please post more interesting articles here. Medical Negligence Solicitors

Anonymous said...

Your articles are very well written and unique. Click Here

Unknown said...

Your post is really quite important for me. Thanks for this edifying post. Rush Nutrition

Anonymous said...

I was searching about this issue as you have discussed very clearly and lovely manner that I don’t have to go now any other webpage. Emotional support animal

Anonymous said...

Hello!! Great job this is so great blog. Thanks! Emotional support animal

Unknown said...

Your blog is very cool. I am very lucky to be able to come to your weblog and I will bookmark this web page in order that I could come back another time.Keep up the good work. Cancer Surgeon in Dombivli || Urology Center in dombivli || Orthopedic Surgeon in Dombivli

Unknown said...

This is great the blog that I always bookmarked are those who has a good information which is viewable and informative and you are one of those who provide good informations. Critical Care in Dombivali || Plastic Surgeon in dombivli || Orthopedic Hospital in Dombivli

Anonymous said...

This piece of writing is in fact profitable for me; carry on posting such posts because I daily come across your site. rhinoplasty nyc

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing a nice post, looks like good; I will give it a try to utilize in my personal life as well. laser hair removal westlake village

ziamedicalcenter said...

our Orthopedic surgeon in Dubai & Sports Medicine Unit and our world-renowned services for the care of musculoskeletal conditions in adults and children. for more details Umm Suqiem 1, Jumeirah Beach Road
Adjacent Kite Beach
Dubai, UAE.